Friday, May 15, 2009

Bring your parent to kindergarten

Mairin had the distinct pleasure of schooling her father and me a few weeks ago. We participated in Hinkle's "Bring Your Parents to Kindergarten" day. It's amazing to see your child in his/her element. Not only was I surprised, but proud. Mairin Reilly is one smart little girl. Her wit is quick (I take full credit) and her heart is big (me). She knows no stranger and all the kids seem to gravitate to her (that's Pat). It was very eye-opening!

Here's our day:
I arrived earlier than Pat, and the kids were in the story pit with their wonderful teacher, Mrs. McKamie. Mairin was listening with rapt attention, eyes fixed on the story. After a brief set of instructions, the kids were sent to find their "people". Mairin spied me quickly and came to take my hand. She led me to her seat which was clearly made for a Liliputian, not a full-grown woman! I squatted into the chair and watched my daughter show me her literacy stations. When Daddy came we moved onto the computer station, craft, science and math. She was so focused, so poised. Not my crazy ball of energy that dances to the beat of her own drum... but then we went to recess... At one point every kid in Mairin's class was chasing Pat because Mairin yelled, "Let's GET HIM!!!" She's a leader, my kid! :)


Luckily, she composed herself when we came in and we finished up our stations. It was a fun day. Mairin is such a treasure. I hope every year in school is as fun and as rewarding as this year has been for her.

No comments: