Friday, February 26, 2010

And the winner is..... couch!

I did begin the Couch25K regimen last week. I began on the 17th and, well, have only had time to do it two times since. Seriously, I don' t know how people do it. Unless I cut sleeping from my list of things to do, I don't really see how I will be able to work out REGULARLY three times a week... here's why:

Monday we went to the gym. It was less than perfect timing, as we both had meetings after school. Working out is now a "priority" though, so we sucked it up, schleped all three kids to the gym and worked out for a whopping 32 minutes (I know this because that app I told you about has a timer). Regardless, at least we did it. We had to hustle out of there because Mairin had basketball practice. We made plans to forgo our anniversary dinner on Wednesday night and workout instead (does that sound as crazy as it feels to write it???)!

Wednesday came with its own set of issues. We woke and started the usual whirlwind that is our mornings. I got up, got ready, woke the house and went downstairs to feed the dog and make the coffee. This morning something was not right. Casey, my sweet lab, was not herself. Instead of bounding down the steps to be fed, she was yelping for no apparent reason, crying out in pain. Now those of you that know me know that I love my dog. I've written of her in the past. Her yelping continued and was joined by dazed staring and trembling all over her body. I'm not going to lie, I thought we were heading for the end. I was a mess. Even Pat couldn't hide his concern.

We left for work and I made it through the morning. I quickly returned home during my break to see how she was doing- more of the same. I immediately called the vet and BAWLED like a baby while I told the receptionist what was going on (I'm not kidding, I was a freak). You have to understand. Our life with Casey has been quite parallel to the movie Marley and Me. She was so much like Marley (minus the incessant barking) that it's not even funny. Seeing that movie has scarred me deeply. That movie touched everyone, unless you're made of stone, but it hit awfully close to home for us... That is all I could think of on Wednesday.

We got to the vet around 3:00. Having a car ride really perked Casey up. We walked in and she promptly pooped all over the scale... oops! The doctor saw us and she was fabulous. She informed us that Casey has a cervical disc something or other (basically she has an inflamed disc in her neck- common for dogs who have spent much of their lives fetching and catching Frisbees). She's on some major steroids and doggy morphine. My life though, is never that simple and we then found out that the big knot on Casey's leg, well, it's not a knot. It's a tumor. A cancerous tumor. UGH! We'll have it removed after we get over the disc business... The doctor assured me that she didn't feel it was the "bad kind" though... I'm going with that.

After a day like that, who can work out? I needed a beer (classy, I know). We went to BW3s and had wings and beer (Happy Anniversary). Not to mention that Molly came home and promptly puked all over the bathroom... So nope, didn't get to workout on Thursday either! On a side note, it was pretty cute. Molly said, "I feel sick, I feel sick!" right before she vomited. When she finished she said, "I all better. I spit my sick out." :)

Today is Friday. I'm exhausted from the week. I took the girls to piano after school, delivered a meal to a friend who just had a beautiful baby girl, and ate pizza with neighbors. Tomorrow brings basketball and housework. I may try to squeeze in a run at the gym, but you know what? I may just keep working out everything else that life throws at me. There's always tomorrow, right?

No comments: