Tuesday, March 24, 2009

I love my kids...

I absolutely loathe long winters. It makes me furious when we have a glorious glimpse of Spring, only to have it nabbed away, like thief in the night. FURIOUS! Makes for a very grumpy morning... However, I adore those warm spring-like afternoons when that frigid morning air melts into a warm blanket of wonderful! That's when I drive home from work with the window cracked (Molly hates to have them down) and turn up the radio (ok, she hates the radio, too, but I'd like to turn it up...)- side note, my kid does run the show...

Today was that day. Today I came home to find the court full of little gals riding bikes, driving Barbie Jeeps, and pushing scooters. All of them with messy hair, dirty hands, and feet in flip-flops (when did those stop being "thongs"?). Pat was fast at work, emptying our home of all things winter. He had bins of winter coats, ready to pack away. Boxes of mismatched gloves, woolen scarves and toboggan hats on their way to rest in the attic for another eight months. It was a fun sight! We invited our neighbors over to grill out and we popped open a couple of longneck beers. Suddenly, I felt like it was a Saturday night in June.

Dinner was over before we knew it with baths waiting, piano to practice and illustrations to color! The girls were all bathed and Mairin Reilly donned her blue robe and hopped into my bed. While our President was giving his address on the television, I was trying to get Mairin dressed. She was not having it. She was a limp noodle with droopy eyes resting on my pillow. I said, "Mairin, come on, Love, we need to get you in some warm jammies before you fall asleep." Nothing. "Mair, sweetie, please get your jammies on so we can brush your hair." Nothing. "MAIRIN! It's time to get your jams on, now!" To which she calmly replied, "Mom- I am not sleeping. I am listening to Barack Obama!" I love that kid!

No comments: