Sunday, March 22, 2009

Too serious...

So, my last posts have been all too serious. I'm hormonally imbalanced these days (what's new?) and started weeping while reading them, so here's one to make you smile.

A rundown of our lame weekend, if you will...

Friday was good. Got a much needed haircut. Ate pizza- cheese pizza. I'm a good Catholic.

Saturday- Took girls 1 & 2 to piano. Took baby 3 to get mice at pet store and got call from my brother with bad news about Uncle Ron. Cried in the drive-thru line at McDonald's. No, they didn't notice. Picked up kids from piano. Kid one had best lesson EVER, Kid two may not be taking piano after next Sat... she's so persnickety! Took all kids and self to Target. Spent too much money. Took kid two to a birthday party- an ICE SKATING birthday party. - Que post

My husband somehow convinced my daughter that ice skating is the one sport where Mommy is better than Daddy! While this is most likely a true statement, I most certainly did not want to do it. After the flooding of tears and the trip to Target, I was ready for a long winter's nap, but kid two was NOT going to said party without Nancy Kerrigan (me)! So, I went. Upon arriving, I noticed that there were several moms running, broad smiles across their faces, to the parking lot without their children. Hmmm, suspect. We walked into the party and a frantic host says, "Um, I will get you a ticket and you can get her skates. We'll meet you on the ice." That's it. Mind you dear reader, Kid two has NEVER done any form of skating. She still wears elbow pads, knee pads and a helmet just to ride her bike WITH TRAINING WHEELS! I played along though, thoughts of those free mothers dancing in my brain.

We got the skates. Actually, three pairs. Apparently, the whole, "Get a size smaller, they're running a bit big," advice only applied to the offspring of the woman giving the advice. We had to go a size bigger... FUN! We marched, quite literally, onto the rink and HALT. "Mommy, you are a great skater. Why don't you have on skates?" Uh-oh...

After several attempts at bribing her to go without me, I got on some skates, erased the images of carefree moms, and took my daughter's hand. Eleven little non-skaters were at this party. Only one other mom stayed to help. I'm glad I did too because you know what? I loved it! I laughed my butt off. My daughter was really doing great after the third time around. I held hands with so many little girls and helped them around that ice. They were hilarious. One little girl told me she LOVED the Steve Miller song playing because she hears it on Guitar Hero. Another told me she's a good skater because she shakes her booty... Suddenly, I realized that Mairin's friends aren't much different than my own! :)

In the car, on our way home, Mairin was exhausted. So was I! She said, "Mom, you were a really good helper today. Thank you for staying with me!" Well, let's see how those carefree moms are smiling now. My back may hurt and my legs may be sore, but for one moment in time, my kid appreciated me OUT LOUD! That makes for a good weekend!

No comments: