Thursday, March 19, 2009

Rollercoaster Ride- not fantastic...

This week has been filled with ups and downs, but mostly downs. Of course, Tuesday was St. Patrick's Day, which is held in high esteem at the McAndrews' home. My Irish husband paints the town green with his Irish father and closest friends. It's a standing tradition- one which I've grown accustomed to. It wouldn't be a true McAndrews' holiday however, without regurgitation. Yes, the real kind. Not the figurative form- I'm refering to vomit and not from the Irish men in our family. Nope, from our eldest daughter who seems to be the pukingest kid in town! And because sibling rivalry comes in all forms, the youngest McAndrews girl got in on the action. One left her mark IN my bed, while the other quietly did the same in her crib. Yes, the washing machine worked hard on Tuesday!

Wednesday brought with it a round of ups and downs, as well. I stayed home with Maggie, who miraculously rebounded from a night of purging, and Molly, who slept off her ill. Maggie was bored to tears, mentioning a few times that she was well enough for school now (and oh, how I loathe that 24 hour rule). She got to work on her latest book, which I have to admit is really good. She wrote all about a cowboy named Frank and his horse, Carrots. While other girls are writing about fairies and princesses, my seven year old prefers the Wild West. I love that kid! She is also illustrating her story. She definitely has her father's hand at drawing. She's quite skilled for a young'in! BUT- Pat came home with the news that he didn't get an interview for the basketball position he was hoping for. While he was down, I'm sure this is a blessing in disguise. I think there are bigger/better things in store for him. This would have been his stopping point, while now the road is wide open. I hope he can see it that way.

Today was another day. The NCAA tournament began and my Butler Bulldogs took the gym floor with less ferocity than I imagined they would. They hung tough, but ultimately were beaten. Luckily, they are young and grossly talented. I'm guessing they'll dance again next year. Being a Thursday, I went off to Panera to do my homework in a child-free zone. On the way, I phoned my brother to tell him the painfully rude (although truthful) comment my mother made about the cleanliness (or lack thereof) of my home. He proceeded to tell me that our uncle, whom I ADORE, and whose body is riddled with cancer, is not doing well at all. In fact, it seems that the cancer is winning and Uncle Ron's body can't make it into overtime. I pray for a miracle. He is a man of all things good. He is kind, loving, generous and spirited. He took care of my father in his last days. He made a promise to look after my brother and me. He's done that and more. My heart breaks knowing that he is in pain and his days could be fleeting. He is in California, too far to get a hug. Please, if you are a prayerful person, please add Ron Murphy to your list. He is so deserving of a miracle. He's too young to leave.

I've never meant it more when I say, "Thank God it's Friday." Tomorrow, is a new day. Let's shoot for more ups than downs. Who knows, maybe I'll clean my shower...

No comments: